Nestled in the beautiful Moroccan countryside lies the ancient city of Marrakech. Visitors to this magical place are met with a wonder of sights, sounds, and experiences. But what really makes Marrakech so special is its unique array of breathtaking rooftop views. From the bustling markets of Jemaa el-Fnaa to the iconic Koutoubia Mosque, this vibrant city has a beauty second to none. Join us as we explore some of the most incredible rooftop views that Marrakech has to offer.
1. Overview of Marrakech’s Rooftop Views
Marrakech is a city with a backdrop of beautiful old cities and sands, and its vivid and bustling nightlife is alluring and exciting. It’s also home to some of the most breathtaking rooftop views you’ll ever witness. Whether you make your way up to one of the ancient rooftops, or take a more modern rooftop experience, you’ll be mesmerized by the beauty of Morocco’s second largest city.
- Ait Ben Haddou – This vibrant city is nestled along the dramatic Ait Ben Haddou Gorge. From up above, you’ll be able to take in the postcard-perfect views of terracotta rooftops, majestic minarets, and the sweeping sand dunes in the background.
- Jemaa el-Fnaa – This open-air market is constantly alive with traders, performers, and locals. The best way to take it all in is from one of the nearby rooftop cafes overlooking the square. Get ready for an unforgettable experience full of colors, energy, and amazement.
- Koutoubia Mosque – Marrakech’s most recognizable structure, Koutoubia Mosque is an architectural masterpiece. Witness the calming beauty of its ornate designs from the comfortable rooftop balconies surrounding it.
- Marrakech Lazy River – Take a tour of the Marrakech Lazy River and experience the mesmerizing vibrancy of the city from the best perspective. Take your time gliding across the water and looming over the vibrant Souk street markets below.
The city of Marrakech is full of breathtaking experiences, and its rooftop views are some of the best around. From the vibrant Ait Ben Haddou to the bustling Marrakech Lazy River, you won’t be disappointed when you look out onto the city from above.
2. Awe-Inspiring Spaces
If you’re looking for breathtaking views in Marrakech, there’s no better place to start than the rooftops. Spanning the medina’s skyline of sky-high mosques, kasbahs, minarets, and fortresses, the views in Marrakech’s historic city centre range from the truly panoramic to the simply majestic.
Despite its modern development, the historic heart of Marrakech remains a bucket-list destination for the romantics and the rooftop-lovers. From a handful of centuries-old palaces and villas, to the new generation of five-star resorts that offer up gods-eye perspectives of the ancient medina, these veranda vistas reward time and time again.
- Kasbah Terrace – perched on one of the highest vantage points of Marrakech’s old city, the Kasbah Terrace overlooks the 17th century walls of the old palace and offers a jaw-dropping view of the nearby landscapes.
- Dar Rahba Kedima – for a surreal experience of the medina, you can’t beat the views of this former farmhouse. On the topmost level, you’ll be surrounded by the jade-hued city skyline, and further to the south, the majestic Atlas Mountains.
- Mauresque Roof – situated atop one of the tallest buildings near the palaces of the ancient Medina, the Mauresque Roof offers a sweeping view of Marrakech’s vibrant cityscape, with a particularly impressive sunset vista that is worth both the trek and the wait.
- Mosquee Terrace – atop the tallest minaret of the 19th century, this extraordinary viewpoint gives you a bird’s eye view of the medina and its graceful architecture. Both day and night, you’ll be able to admire the grandeur of the old city.
Amid the hustle and bustle of Marrakech’s heartland, these highly sought-after spots are moments of solace, aptly reflecting the city’s sometimes chaotic but equally entrancing atmosphere. Dotted around the ancient medina’s honey-hued walls and red-tiled roofs, they offer up plenty of romance and timeless views that transport you to the classical era.
3. Must-See Overview Points
Spend a sunny afternoon exploring the rooftops of Marrakech for an unbeatable view of the city. Here are a few places to check out to get the best of Marrakech’s skyline:
- Riad Atlas: This luxurious hotel, located in the medina, provides a breathtaking view of the palm groves and mountains in the distance.
- Kasbah Le Mirage: This rooftop restaurant and lounge, perched atop a 12th-century fortress, offers some of the best views in Marrakech. Enjoy sweeping views of the city and the snow-capped Atlas Mountains.
- Cafe Clock: Cafe Clock’s rooftop has long been popular for its incredible views of the Medina. Grab a seat and take in the intricate architecture as the sun sets.
For the most impressive view of all, head to the top of Koutoubia Mosque, the tallest building in the city. From up top, you can take in stunning views of the entire city—from the bustling streets of the souks to the palace and gardens. It’s a sight you won’t want to miss!
No matter where you choose to explore in Marrakech, a rooftop view is almost guaranteed to leave you in awe. From luxurious hotels to traditional mosques, the city offers plenty of ways to experience the stunning views.
4. Panoramic Landscapes
- Visit the minaret at Koutoubia Mosque for an up-close view of the city.
- Head to the rooftop terraques of the old city’s Riads for incredible sunsets.
- Check out the vista terrace at the four-star Riad Farnache for .
- Spend a night at Hotel de la poste to witness a mosaic of twinkling lights.
Kaaba de la Souk can provide you with the best view of the Medina. From the top of this sandy yellow-stoned building, you can enjoy bird’s eye view of the bustling souks and the alleyways that would otherwise be a maze to navigate. Additionally, the view gives a great insight into the city’s renowned architecture, from its tiled doors to unusually shaped windows.
The hotel El Badi is another spot you cannot miss when it comes to rooftop views. Mirrors and lanterns adorn the terrace, providing for an incredibly charming atmosphere. On a clear night, the perfect vista of the Kasbah and Palais Bahia would leave you speechless.
If you are looking to appreciate Marrakech from a higher ground, the Giralda Tower is the best rooftop in town. Built in 1147, it provides not only a spectacular view of the city and its ancient monuments, but also acts as a symbol of its Merenid Sultan’s reign.
In short, Marrakech has an abundance of rooftop locations for you to enjoy the best view of the city, rarely found elsewhere. Away from the hustle and bustle, you can also take a few moments to reflect upon the city’s culture and beauty.
5. Captivating Sunsets
Rooftop views of Marrakech have become increasingly popular among travelers in recent years. With a backdrop of beautiful mountain ranges and the deep blue of the Mediterranean Sea, it’s no surprise that seeing a Marrakech sunset is a must-see experience. From luxury rooftop pools to neighborhood parks, there are plenty of incredible places to take in the beauty of this stunning city. Here are five of the best spots for in Marrakech.
- La Grande Dame: Enjoy a luxurious evening on the rooftop pool at La Grande Dame Hotel. With views of the Atlas Mountains, the Old Medina, and a manicured garden, this spot gives you the ideal view of Marrakech and its surrounding areas.
- Nejma Rooftop: Take a romantic stroll on the terrace at Nejma Rooftop while marveling in the awe-inspiring sunset. You’ll be treated to views of the Koutoubia Mosque and Koutoubia Garden as you walk.
- Jardin Secret: Stroll through the Jardin Secret and take in the views of the sunset from the top of its fountains. There’s also a café if you’d like to stop for a drink or bite to eat while you’re there.
- Café du Nord: Have a romantic dinner while watching the sunset at Café du Nord. Enjoy the amazing views of the city from the terrace or the restaurant’s balcony.
- Yves Saint Laurent Garden: Spend an evening at the Yves Saint Laurent Garden and take in the breathtaking views of the Grand Atlas Mountains. This spot is perfect for both couples and families who want to watch the sunset.
The rooftop views of Marrakech are truly breathtaking and a sunset there is an experience you’ll never forget. Whether you’re looking for a luxurious evening or a romantic stroll, there’s a spot for everyone to catch the last light of day in Marrakech.
6. Dining with a View
Marrakech’s rooftop restaurants provide the perfect place to dine with a view of the city. Sprawled before you are the vibrant colours and smells of the vibrant night life and lively local life. Every corner of the skyline captivates and leaves visitors marvelling at the beauty of this incredible city.
Begin your evening at the Café Clock. This unique restaurant serves traditional Moroccan food with a twist, delivering treasured family recipes with hints of modern flavors. With candlelit tables and the scent of rose fading in the air, you’ll find yourself in no hurry to leave. Enjoy the night skyline of Marrakech from the the terrace, over a home cooked feast.
Next, make your way to the Blue Canary, an Instagram famous rooftop bar. With its boho vibe and breathtaking views, it’s the perfect place to sip on fresh cocktails with Marrakech’s signature mix of Western and Eastern influences. Enjoy the beautiful sunset, before spending the night swaying to local street performers.
For a taste of something a little different, head to the Byborro Garden Terrace. Overlooking the bustling city busting below, this European-style club offers guests an outdoor terrace and a stunning bar. With a lively atmosphere, it’s the perfect place for dancing the night away!
To complete your night out, end with a visit to the Le Jade. This exotic restaurant on the northern edge of the city is a favourite amongst locals. The candlelit ambience makes for the perfect end to the night, as you spend your time admiring the panoramic skyline with authentic Moroccan food and music.
Enjoy these unique rooftop experiences and indulge in Marrakech’s magical views. Immerse yourself in the culture and enjoy the night skyline, it’s better from a rooftop!
7. Insider Tips for Exploring the Roofs of Marrakech
1. Travel during the winter months – If you’re looking for stellar views of the city, the best time to visit Marrakech is during the winter months when the climate is cooler and the landscape is crispy and clear.
2. Plan a sunrise hike – For an experience that will take your breath away, plan a sunrise hike to the nearby Atlas Mountains. Tour guides are available to help navigate the journey and provide insight into the local culture.
3. Climb the newly restored towers – For a unique experience, explore the newly restored towers located in the historic city center. From the top, you can take in views from afar and get a glimpse of the local architecture.
4. Check out the tanneries – Visit the local tanneries, or Berber markets, to take in the sights and sounds of the traditional culture and get a glimpse of the vibrant Berber lifestyle.
5. Participate in photography tours – Join a photography tour to capture stunning photos of the city’s skyline from atop a roof terrace. Tour guides provide insight into shooting techniques and will even point out the hidden gems in the city.
6. Visit the terraces of Bahia Palace – Take a stroll through the terraces of Bahia Palace and get a beautiful view of the city. From the palace’s rooftop terrace, you can admire the skyline of Marrakech’s 12th-century walls.
7. Make a reservation at Restaurant Al Fassia – Consider making a reservation at Restaurant Al Fassia to experience Moroccan cuisine with the city skyline as your backdrop. As the sun sets, watch the city come alive and enjoy one of the best Marrakech has to offer. From Ait ben Haddou to Jemaa el Fna square, exploring Marrakech’s roofs allows unforgettable postcard worthy moments. So come and enjoy majestic beauty of Marrakech for yourself – and its stories. Who knows – maybe one day, you will be the author of your own Marrakech memories.